Monday, November 14, 2011

Nourishing food nourishes the spirit

I used to eat junk food all the time until I realized how much it really affected me. Newton’s third law states, “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.” For me, this equal and opposite reaction manifests itself as an unseemly muffin top and crankiness. Even though that sugar-laden Pop-Tart brought me momentary bliss in the morning, I knew I would suffer from an inevitable sugar crash. I realized that as much as I LOVED sweets, they did not love ME back.

For the past two years, I have strived to eat better. I have grown to love lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and bell peppers. I enjoy my cup of green tea each morning. Snacking on fruit makes me feel better than snacking on Twinkies or chocolate bars. I rarely drink carbonated beverages and truly love drinking water with lemon.

I have a family history of diabetes, so I feel better just KNOWING that I am putting something nourishing in my body.

Breakfast is hands down my favorite meal of the day. Oatmeal is my absolute breakfast food (and I don’t mean instant). I prefer McCann’s Irish Oatmeal, but I am just as satisfied with a bowl of Quaker Oats. Kashi makes a cereal called Autumn Harvest, which I absolutely love and have eaten religiously for weeks now. I almost always eat yogurt for breakfast and the occasional whole wheat toast with peanut butter.

I tried eating Greek yogurt a few weeks ago but did not like the fact that it tasted like sour cream. I will keep searching for the perfect yogurt.

I still love junk food, and I do occasionally fall off the bandwagon. Just the other day I ordered pumpkin cheesecake from Olive Garden (oh come on – they only make it in the fall). Alas, dessert, all my love for you is unrequited!

No comments:

Post a Comment