Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fields of Gold

After Spellbound was released, my father confessed to me that he felt uneasy when I was being filmed. Even though he believed in me, he feared I would become so anxious that it would jeopardize my performance at regionals. I think I loved the attention from the filmmakers like any kid would (don’t all kids go through an “I want to be a movie star” phase?) but I never stopped to think about the situation from my father’s point of view.

I remember riding the tractor in the wheatfields with my dad before I started kindergarten. I felt so important holding onto the steering wheel with my dad.  I once told my sister that I would have fun riding a tractor nowadays while listening to my iPod.  We both laughed, but I wasn't kidding.  There is something quite therapeutic about gazing off into the vast Texas Panhandle.

1 comment:

  1. I'm watching Spellbound again after first seeing it 8 or 9 years ago. Like last time, I wanted you to win, but you went out on 'heleoplankton' again. It was unlucky to have to spell it with that rogue 'e' in it, but it's a memorable word and I think a good one to be remembered for. I hope you are going well.

    David
    Melbourne, Australia

    ReplyDelete