Wednesday, October 26, 2011

To my fellow consumerists

“The best things in life aren’t things.”
I thought about this quote as I read it on my Nook.
I drove away from Barnes & Noble in my red 2011 Honda Fit
While I listened to music from my iPhone
And the iPod my brother bought me five Christmases ago.
Why do I have an iPod AND an iPhone
You ask.

I wear my A&M class ring every day,
I panicked when I lost it for a day,
I forgot that I was using it as a bookmark.

Even though I own a Nook, I still buy books.
My mother tells me I have too many books
That I should sell them in a garage sale
Or on eBay.
But I refuse to part with my books.
Nor have I the heart to sell my drum set

I’m typing this on my Sony Vaio laptop.
Should I get an iPad or not? I wonder
No, I don’t need one. Or do I?
I dream of one day buying a house,
This past summer I wanted to buy a kayak.

The best things in life aren’t things.
We will not take our things with us
When we die.
But I admit my life would be immensely different
Without my things.

No comments:

Post a Comment